Data logging is defined as the collection of data over a period of time or manual sampling taking accurate measurements using SI units. (The Vu data logger also has the option to measure in non-standard units for embarking learners).
Data logging systems monitor a process using sensors linked to a computer via a data logger – in this case the Vu logger.
- Sensing is using sensors to show changes in the environment.
- Monitoring is keeping a record of measurements from sensors over a length of time.
- Data logging is the gathering, recording, classifying and presenting data in a variety of ways to help answer scientific questions
Working scientifically the Vu data Logger, accompanied by the EasySense software, can be used to:
- Record findings
- Display data in tables, charts and graphs
- Allow for interpretation and analysis of data; recognising patterns and trends in the data
- Enable presentation of results and conclusions which can be used to make predictions for new values, suggest improvements and raise further questions